Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum celebrated the 2015 National Design Awards with a ceremony and dinner at Pier Sixty in New York. Launched at the White House in 2000 as an official project of the White House Millennium Council, the annual National Design Awards celebrate design in various disciplines as a vital humanistic tool in shaping the world. First Lady Michelle Obama serves as the honorary patron of the 2015 National Design Awards.
Read more about the National Design Awards: www.cooperhewitt.org/national-design-awards
Learn about the 2015 National Design Awards winners and see their award-winning designs: www.cooperhewitt.org/national-design-awards/2015-national-design-awards-winners
order of proceedings
- Opening Remarks – Caroline Baumann, Director of Cooper Hewitt
- Communication Design Award – Recipient: Project Projects / Presenter: Ben Smith, editor-in-chief, BuzzFeed
- Architecture Design Award – Recipient: MOS Architects / Presenter: Yve-Alain Bois, professor of art history, Institute for Advanced Study
- Corporate and Institutional Achievement Award – Recipient: Heath Ceramics / Presenter: Tod Williams and Billie Tsien
- Design Mind Award – Recipient: Rosanne Haggerty / Presenter: Alexandra A. Herzan, president and treasurer, Lily Auchincloss Foundation, Inc.
- Fashion Design Award – Recipient: threeASFOUR / Presenter: Marisa Tomei
- Director’s Award – Recipient: Jack Lenor Larsen / Presenter: Caroline Baumann
- Landscape Architecture Award – Recipient: Coen + Partners / Presenter: Monica Ponce de Leon, architect; design director, MPdL Studio
- Interaction Design Award – Recipient: John Underkoffler / Presenter: Ang Lee
- Product Design Award – Recipient: Stephen Burks / Presenter: Jeffrey Bernett
- Interior Design Award – Recipient: Commune
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Recipient: Michael Graves / Presenter: Meredith Vieira