current tour programs
Nature by Design: Selections from the Permanent Collection – Private Tours begin April 12, 2019
To accompany the special exhibition, Nature — Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial, Nature by Design presents seven distinct stories drawn from Cooper Hewitt’s collection of over 210,000 design objects. Throughout history, designers have observed nature, investigated its materials, and imitated and abstracted its patterns and shapes. Textiles, jewelry, furniture, cutlery, and more show how designers have interpreted nature’s rich beauty and astonishing complexity. Across scales from microscopic to monumental, and in forms familiar and unusual, we invite visitors to discover how nature and design have intersected in the past and continue to converge in our world.
Nature — Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial – Private Tours begin May 17
Co-organized with Cube design museum in the Netherlands, the exhibition will feature more than 60 groundbreaking works from designers across all disciplines who are collaborating with scientists, engineers, farmers, environmentalists, and nature itself to design a more harmonious and regenerative future.
Mansion Tour – Ongoing
Enjoy a tour of the Mansion – learn about Andrew Carnegie and the history of the Mansion and its transformation from home to museum.
- Open to the general public
- Two tours every day
- Mon–Thu: 11:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. Nature—Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial
- Fri: 11:30 a.m. Mansion Tour, 1:30 p.m. Nature—Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial
- Weekends: 1:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. Nature—Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial
- Free with admission
- No reservation required
- All tours last 45 minutes, are led by experienced museum guides, and encourage an informal exchange of ideas.
- First come, first served
- Maximum of 25 participants†
- If you would like to learn more, please call our Tours line, 212.849.8351
† Groups exceeding 10 participants are encouraged to book a separate Group Tour.
Verbal Description + Sensory Public Tours
Dynamic verbal description tours of exhibitions are offered the first Friday of every month at 1:30 p.m. Join a Cooper Hewitt educator in conversation and explore a selection of objects through detailed verbal description and touch. These free, multi-sensory tours take place in place of the daily afternoon tour and are open to all.
private guided tours
- Reservations are required at least 4 weeks in advance of the desired visit date – please complete the tour registration form
- Fees: individual admissions fees + $150 Design Guide fee
- Minimum of 10†, maximum of 25 participants
- For groups larger than 25, please make separate reservations with staggered arrival times
† If your group has special needs that require a smaller group size, please email the Tours department or call 212.849.8351.
Self-guided tours/group admission
- Reservations are required at least 2 weeks in advance of the desired visit date – please complete the tour registration form
- Fees: individual admissions fees (same as online prices)
- Minimum of 10, maximum of 35 participants
- For groups larger than 35, please make separate reservations with staggered arrival times
- Outside lecturers are not permitted
Featured Image: Cooper Hewitt Design Guides lead public and private tours of Cooper Hewitt's exhibitions.