No reservations are required for public tours.
To schedule a private tour, please register at least six weeks in advance of the desired tour date using the tour registration form.
If you have changes to a confirmed tour, please follow the process outlined in your original tour confirmation letter.
Tour Types and Fees
All tours last 45 minutes, are led by experienced museum guides, and encourage an informal exchange of ideas.
- Open to college students and adult groups
- $150 tour fee + admission
- Requires a reservation at least six weeks prior to the desired tour date
- Can be scheduled any time during museum hours
- Minimum† of 10, maximum of 25 participants
† If your group has special needs that require a smaller group size, please let us know at email@example.com or 212.849.8351.
- Open to the general public
- Tours take place every day at 1:30 p.m.
- Free with admission
- No reservation required
- Maximum of 25 participants†
- If you would like to learn more, please call our Visitor Experience line, 212.849.2950
† Groups exceeding 10 participants are encouraged to book a separate Private Group Tour.
Self-Guided Tours and group admission
- Registration (at least two weeks in advance) is required for groups of 10 or more. Due to our limited capacity we have a limit of 35 people per group, including chaperones. Groups larger than 35 should make separate reservations with staggered arrival times. Groups arriving without a reservation may not be able to be accommodated upon arrival.
- Open to private and college groups that want to explore the museum’s galleries on their own
- Outside lecturers are not permitted
How far in advance do I have to register?
At least 6 weeks. Please register using the online tour reservation form.
What information do I need to have when registering?
Group leader’s name, mailing address, and contact information, as well as the number and type of participants (max. 25 per group)
When is payment due?
At least 4 weeks before your scheduled visit. Your reservation is not confirmed until all fees are paid.
What happens after I submit my reservation request?
Due to the high volume of tour inquiries your request will be reviewed within 7 business days, and a confirmation e-mail will be sent noting program date and start time.
Can my group stay in the museum after my guided visit?
Yes. Participants will receive an entrance ticket and may come and go freely for the rest of the day.
Where do I check in?
Please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled start time to check-in (we cannot attend to you if you arrive sooner). Enter the museum through the 91st Street entrance (between 5th and Madison Avenues). Your group leader can pick up your tickets from the admissions desk and the guide assigned to your program will greet you there.
What if we’re late?
If your group is late, your program will be shortened accordingly and will finish at the originally designated end time. Groups that arrive more than 30 minutes late cannot be accommodated.
What if I need to cancel my tour?
All cancellations must be received in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled visit. Please review our full cancellation policy on your confirmation letter and contact Group Tours at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.849.8351 with any questions. Cancellation and other processing fees may apply.
Where can a bus/van park?
Buses/vans may drop off and pick up groups outside the main museum entrance (2 E. 91st Street). While waiting, buses can remain on 5th Avenue or seek alternative locations.
What if my group requires special accommodations?
On your reservation request, please indicate special accommodations under “Additional Information.”
Can I lead my own tour in the galleries?
In-gallery lectures and tours given by outside guides are not permitted, unless the tour is led for a class by a College or University professor.
Do you conduct tours in other languages?
At this time, all tours are conducted in English.