National Design Awards Submission Guidelines
And thank you for completing the registration form! Please be sure to download the Submission Guidelines, which will provide you with information about the National Design Awards, the 2019 Instructions for Submission, and the 2019 National Design Awards Terms of Agreement. Please also browse this page for additional tips and helpful information. Note that submissions must be delivered by Friday, March 8, 2019. We look forward to your submission!
Tips from Previous National Design Awards Jury
- Submissions that followed the guidelines were viewed favorably.
- The concise 100 word biography and 150 word statement were very helpful in introducing the jurors to you and your work, particularly with statements that were more personal. Remember that the jurors come from all different disciplines of design and may not already be familiar with your work or field.
- Concise project descriptions/summaries of each project (each book, for Design Mind nominees) were very beneficial to the jury. As appropriate, note the motivation behind the work and its larger impact. Note your role in the project as appropriate.
- The portfolio of ten projects should include your strongest work and should speak to the evolution of your work. In addition to the concise project descriptions/summaries of each project, including multiple images for each project allows the jurors an opportunity to better understand your work. If multiple groups are involved, clearly list your or your firm’s role. Also include any collaborators and their roles in the project, as applicable.
- Consider the overall design and presentation of the portfolio book and how it reflects on you or your firm/company/organization. Make it personal and specific to this awards program.
- A short (2 minutes or less) video testimonial in the nominee’s voice was enormously helpful in giving the jury a general overview of the candidate and his or her work. These need not be professionally produced.
- Specific to the Corporate and Institutional Achievement category, demonstrate that design is integral to your company/organization’s mission.
Below are responses to some frequently asked questions. If you have any additional questions throughout the submission process, please do not hesitate to contact the National Design Awards office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.849.8337.
Is there a fee to submit to the 2019 National Design Awards?
There is no submission fee.
How many images can I include in my hard copy portfolio?
You may include multiple images for each project in the portfolio. For the ten digital images and captions requested, we ask that you select one image that best represents each project.
Do I have to submit ten projects?
The National Design Awards are given for a body of realized work, not for any one specific project, so we do ask that nominees submit ten projects for review. Please note that these projects should best represent your body of work. A range of work (old and new) is recommended.
Did you receive my submission?
We will be sending official submission confirmations by late March, once all submission materials have been catalogued.
Can I messenger my package or hand deliver it?
We ask that everything come via mail – USPS, FEDEX, and UPS are all acceptable.
Can my package be postmarked by the deadline?
March 8, 2019 is the deadline for receipt of submission materials. Submissions must be delivered by this date.
When will you announce the 2019 National Design Awards Jury?
The jury will be announced along with the Award winners, by June 2019. Browse a list of previous winners and jurors.
2019 Submission Checklist Overview
For full details, please refer to the complete Submission Guidelines.
- Biography/history (100 words).
- Statement (150 words).
- Portfolio book, not to exceed 8.5” x 14” x 2”, containing 10 projects (5-10 for Emerging Designer nominees)
- 10 digital images and captions (5-10 for Emerging Designer nominees) in TIF (preferable) or JPEG format, minimum 6” x 9”, 300 dpi.
- Video testimonial, not to exceed 2 minutes.
- A CD/DVD/flash drive of digital files: biography, statement, portfolio book, digital images/captions, and video. Hard copies must be provided as noted.
- Inventory list.
- A prepaid self-addressed return shipping label (FedEx, UPS, USPS).
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF SUBMISSION MATERIALS: FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2019
Mail completed submissions via FedEx, UPS, or USPS to:
National Design Awards
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
2 East 91st Street
New York, NY 10128
Please label the mailing box with the nominee’s name and category.
- Your submission should best represent the body of work that you or your firm, corporation, or institution have developed throughout your career, in relation to the category in which you are submitting. The jury may move your submission to a different category, if appropriate.
- Do not send original artwork or product samples.
- Email submissions, hand-delivered items, or messenger deliveries (including Same Day Delivery option by FedEx/UPS) will not be accepted. Please see mailing instructions below.
- We will confirm receipt in early May, once all submissions are processed. Please track your package for immediate delivery confirmation.
SAMPLE PORTFOLIO SUBMISSIONS
A hard copy portfolio book containing ten projects, with images and a brief description for each project is required. Here are three examples that were successful in the 2016 National Design Awards:
Sample Video Testimonials
A simple video testimonial that introduces yourself and your work, not to exceed 2 minutes, is highly encouraged. Videos need not be professionally produced, but should convey the strength of the nominee to the jury. Here are three examples that were successful in the 2016 and 2017 National Design Awards:
Behind the Scenes
Read more about the selection process and hear from previous National Design Awards jurors in the videos below.