1. Create your design
What would you design to help more of us feel included?
You can enter as an individual or as a team of up to three people. Only one team member needs to submit your entry on behalf of the team. Learn more about the 2020 design challenge and use these resources to help ignite your creative thinking.
Tips for Creating Your Sketch:
- You will need one sketch of your design idea that you will upload as a .jpg (must be at least 8.5 x 11″ at 300 dpi).
- We recommend using an 8 1/2 x 11″ sheet of paper.
- Your sketch can be drawn in any medium by hand or on a computer.
- The quality of the sketch will not be judged, but it should help illustrate the design concept.
If you are a student with a disability, you may submit a written description of your idea as a .pdf or an audio description of your idea as an .mp3 as needed (200 words or less).
2. Describe your design
Tell us more about your idea! Remember to use the design process resources as you work through the challenge. The online entry form will include a box where you can copy and paste your responses.
Design Challenge Questions:
1. Tell us about the obstacle that would make some people feel excluded.
What specifically about it would make the user(s) you identified feel excluded? Is this something you observed or experienced? Might this also be an obstacle for other users? (50 words or less)
2. Tell us about your design idea.
Describe your design, its key concepts, and how it works. (50 words or less)
3. Tell us about the impact of your design for your user(s).
Describe how and why your design creates inclusion for the user(s) you identified as well as a broader audience. (50 words or less)
If you are a student with a disability, you may submit audio files of your responses as .mp3 files as needed.
3. Submit your design
The online entry period will be from December 23, 2019 to February 10, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time). Late entries will not be accepted. On the submissions site, you will create an account and be able to work on your entry before submitting. Click here to start your entry!
- Your name and contact information, and the names and contact information for all team members, if applicable. Note: Only one team member should create an account and submit your entry on behalf of the team.
- An upload of your design sketch as a .jpg (must be at least 8.5 x 11″ at 300 dpi), or alternate file type as described in step 1.
- Responses to the design challenge questions noted in step 2.
- An upload of your signed parent/legal guardian consent form as a .pdf or .jpg file (must be 300 dpi). All pages must be completed and uploaded, and don’t forget the signature! If you are submitting a team entry, each team member must submit a signed parent/legal guardian consent form.
- Your entry cannot have any marks, logos, or writing on it that identifies authorship so that Cooper Hewitt can review all entries anonymously.
- You may not share your design on social media or in any public manner until after the finalists are announced by March 9, 2020.
- For any questions, please visit FAQs.