Destined for a future in design? If you’re an aspiring creative professional, apply to be a DesignPrep Scholar and upgrade your design savvy. Focused on design education, portfolio development, and building professional skills, the FREE 1-year scholars program is an intensive design experience that includes hands-on workshops with professional designers, college tours, studio visits, and the opportunity for paid internship placements.
The DesignPrep Scholars program is open by application-only to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in high school in New York City. Scholars must commit to a 1-week summer intensive, and weekly after-school sessions throughout the school year.
– Meet National Design Award winning designers!
– Develop your portfolio and get support with college applications
– Learn from professional designers from all over New York City
– Build your professional skills and résumé
– Opportunity for paid internship placements
– Advise Cooper Hewitt on future teen events and activities
– Chance to earn community service hours
– Exclusive access to Cooper Hewitt’s world-class historic and contemporary design exhibitions
Summer Sessions: Aug 7- August 11 (Monday – Friday)
School-year Sessions: Sept 11 – December 18 and Jan 8 – May 14 (Mondays)
Out-of-State College Tour: (during spring break)
– Be enrolled in high school (or homeschooled) in New York City
– Must be 13 years of age or older
– Enter grades 10, 11, or 12 in the fall of 2017
– Submit a signed parental consent form
– Commit to attending ALL program sessions
Applicants are chosen based on their willingness to take part in a variety of design activities, their commitment to attending all program dates, and their ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Your application requires the following:
1. Online application form
2. Two teacher/mentor recommendations
3. Two short written responses
4. Completed guardian consent form
Have a question? Email us!
Find out about Cooper Hewitt’s accessibility services.
DesignPrep is a series of FREE teen workshops, studio tours and college visits, which focus on all forms of design from fashion and architecture to product and graphic design. Learn more HERE.
DesignPrep is made possible by the generous support of the Altman Foundation, The Pinkerton Foundation, The Richard and Jean Coyne Family Foundation, and the Milton and Sally Avery Arts Foundation.