Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy
we are no longer accepting applications for the 2019 summer Cooper Hewitt Educators academy in New York City.
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum is offering a two-day professional development opportunity for educators in formal and informal learning environments to learn about the power and value of design. Educators who are interested in helping students develop a mindset for complex problem-solving, build creative confidence, and engage in the joy of discovery in education should attend.
Participants will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other educators, re-imagine their existing approaches to teaching, enhance their design, visual and digital literacy skills, and build a network with other educators interested in exploring innovative practices for their classrooms and organizations.
Tuesday, July 30 – Wednesday, July 31, 2019 | 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
2 E 91st Street
New York, NY 10128
This program is free for accepted applicants. Note that participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations.
Who can apply?
- Educators who teach in formal (pre-service, K-12, college-level) and informal (non-profit and cultural organizations) are invited to apply.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply in teams of 2-3 people. These teams can be cross-curricular and cross-grade level. Each team member should fill out an individual application. You may apply as a solo applicant. In the application review process, preference will be given to educators applying with colleagues.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Due to the limited number of spaces, interested applicants must apply and be accepted into the program to participate. There are 3 (three) required parts for the application. Your application is only complete once all of the following pieces have been submitted:
- 2019 Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy_Application
- 2019 Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy_Letter of Interest
- 2019 Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy_Letter of Support
Please email your completed application (including application, letter of interest, and principal letter of support) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2019 Summer Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy Application.
Application Deadline: June 24, 2019
Accepted participants will be notified on or about June 28, 2019.
Application does not guarantee your participation. Only accepted applicants will be contacted.
Professional Development Workshops are made possible by the generous support of Altman Foundation. Additional funding provided by Anonymous.
Learning Lab Design Education Tools are supported by internal Smithsonian Institution funds from the Youth Access Grants Program and Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation.
What to Expect
Once accepted into the 2019 Summer Cooper Hewitt Educators Academy, participants will be asked to commit to the following:
- Attend workshop in full in New York City, Tuesday, July 30 through Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm each day;
- Incorporate design into his/her class or lead design workshops for students or colleagues using content provided by Cooper Hewitt during the 2019-2020 school year for potential on-site observation by Cooper Hewitt staff;
- Document use of design and design process through pictures, video, or other media;
- Share design-based lesson or project plans and best practices with Cooper Hewitt staff;
- Participate in data collection, evaluation, and on-site audio/video documentation as needed, including on-site evaluation by Cooper Hewitt staff;
- Develop 2 (two) digital collections on the Smithsonian Learning Lab platform.
Travel and Accommodations
Accepted participants will be responsible for their own travel to/from and accommodations in New York City.
- Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided by Cooper Hewitt at the workshop location, Tuesday, July 30 through Wednesday, July 31.
- Participants will be responsible for their own dinners. New York is home to a vibrant culinary scene where you can find inexpensive hole-in-the-wall restaurants or splurge on dinner at a Michelin star restaurant.
Please contact Kim Robledo-Diga, Deputy Director of Education, at email@example.com
Featured Image: Educators sit a table prototyping using post-it notes and found materials