Join the Digital and Emerging Media Department! DEM is responsible for the production, implementation, and management of all public facing digital products that represent the museum and give visitors a first-in-class experience at the museum, at home, or on the go. This includes the museum website, in-gallery digital experiences, and the online collection.
Cooper Hewitt is looking for a full-stack developer, or commonly referred to as a DevOps engineer, to serve in a key senior technical role that reports directly to the Chief Experience Officer, works closely with the Digital Product Manager, and serves as the liaison on complex technical matters concerning our digital properties to non-technical departments of the museum. The Senior Digital Engineer is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the museum’s main WordPress based website and collections website. The role will provide technical leadership to optimize web servers, ensures scalability of databases, and maintain the museum’s system for extracting its collection data and displaying publicly on our collection site. The role works closely with the museum’s IT team and the Smithsonian Institute’s (SI) Web Services Division to maintain the Web servers, internal and external.
Creative Technical Research, Planning and Management
In partnership with the digital, creative, and content teams, this role provides the technical leadership to ensure the museum’s public facing sites are built for scalability, ease of use, and meet the museum’s mission of providing world-class educational content. This role researches appropriate technical and organizational methods of content delivery and presentation that will enhance public access and deepen engagement with the museum’s knowledge and expertise. This role advises other museum departments on our digital properties, and is responsible for writing the technical documentation and specifications for internal and external contractors.
The Senior Digital Engineer actively participates on SI and CHSDM committees related to digital technologies and represents CHSDM’s interests and projects. They work closely with the SI webmaster and web masters from other SI museums, private museums, federal agencies and cultural organizations to discuss issues and concerns related to application development and maintenance. This role attends and presents at museum technology conferences like MCN and Museums and the Web, and attends work groups to keep up with trends in digital technology.
2. Familiarity with both traditional and emerging system architectures (e.g., containers and micro-services).
3. Demonstrable back-end development experience in AWS and database management, with experience designing and administering highly scalable internet servers using Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and GNU/Linux servers.
4. Experience with WordPress and WP Engine.
5. Understanding of the complex needs of diverse users of digital technologies and methodologies for user research.
6. Ability to serve as an advisor and technical authority on matters relating to planning, designing, developing and implementing a dynamic website with multiple stakeholders and large amounts of content.
7. Knowledge of cross-platform, digital formats for text, images, video and audio and database management is required in order to develop and monitor metrics used in evaluating the accomplishment of web development goals and objectives.
8. Ability to establish productive/collaborative relationships with internal and external partners to produce work of a high quality while under tight deadlines, with excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to relay technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
9. Ability to take initiative and ownership of project for assignments and responsibilities.
10. Experience with accessibility best practices (WCAG 2.0 standards)
SALARY: Highly Competitive
TIAA-CREF (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Free Life Insurance
Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,180 commuter costs paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days) increasing after 3 years (20 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave Family Friendly Workplace
Historic Carnegie mansion and landmark offices
Arthur Ross Terrace and Garden
92Y Fitness Center
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino (Museum Cafe) Discount
Museum Shop Discount
General Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to HRdem@si.edu Subject Line: Senior Digital Engineer
Application deadline is: Open until filled