The Museum Specialist (Latino Design) provides support on a full range of curatorial responsibilities that include exhibition, programmatic, research and administrative duties.
Exhibition Management (40%):
• Works with Associate Curator of Latino Design on all aspects of research, planning, execution, and installation of exhibitions, including attending exhibition production meetings, liaising with curator(s), creating object checklists, supplying/editing didactic information,
such as objects labels and exhibition texts.
• Conducts original library and web-based research in English and Spanish related to exhibition theme and designers.
• Coordinates with Exhibitions, Registrar, Conservation, Cross-Platform Publication, Digital and Emerging Media, Communication, Education, and Finance departments, as well as outside contractors/vendors to support the successful exhibition preparation and execution within
• Works with lenders as well as contemporary artists and designers who participate in exhibitions. Maintains professional and timely correspondence with these constituents in English and Spanish.
• Maintains, updates, and reconciles collection/exhibition records using TMS software in collaboration with Registrar and updates department files as required.
• Provides administrative support for exhibition-related events, including exhibition tours/luncheons/meetings/behind the scenes presentations.
• Attends meetings with curator and Cross-Platform Publishing department.
• Creates image checklist, oversees/supervises photography as needed, prepares captions/texts as assigned, and liaise with Publications as required.
• Coordinates with Cross-Platform Publishing departments on the schedule of exhibition catalog; generates POs and paperwork as needed for exhibition/catalog.
• Proposes and writes appropriate articles for CHSDM online and print publications based on original research.
Public Outreach and Programming (10%):
• Assists Associate Curator of Latino Design and Education staff on developing Latino design content for digital platform and public programs. Duties will also include reviewing English and Spanish language educational materials focused Latino design for the public.
• May participate in symposia, panel discussion, or other public programs to extend understanding of Latino Design collection and exhibitions to national and international audiences.
Collections Management (30%):
• Under the guidance of the Associate Curator of Latino Design conducts scholarly research based on the permanent collection and potential acquisitions. This includes original library and web-based research in English and Spanish on the history, date, medium, provenance,
historical significance, and related works.
• Learns cataloging guidelines across all collecting curatorial departments and adheres to standards consistent with CHSDM’s cataloging and research practices.
• Works cooperatively with Associate Curator of Latino Design, Collection Assistants, and colleagues in Conservation and Registration to provide care for Latino Design objects by advising on proper storage, identifying conservation and rehousing needs, and prioritizing
More details at this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/676046700
2 year term – Federal – May be extended up to an additional 2 years
Grade 9 ($63,609 – $82,693 per year)
How to apply:
Candidates are required to apply on USAJOBS:
Deadline to apply is: 9/30/2022