Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum is looking for experienced painters and plasters with knowledge+skills in production of exhibitions or equivalent work. The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of trades and craft skills associated with the preparation and finishing of walls, display cases, floors and exhibit surfaces. The duties are performed intermittently in accordance with the schedule of temporary changing exhibitions.
• Experience in all areas of, plaster wall, finishing, sanding and surface prep, finishing and painting. Experience with various types of interior latex, enamel, and exterior painting and coatings. Experience with faux finishing not required but encouraged.
•Altering, repairing and finishing display cases, platforms, pedestals, walls and other support systems, using simple and complex, finishing materials such as joint compound, plaster, Bondo, various adhesives paint, and stains. Skills using basic hand and power tools.
• Experience working cleanly and cleaning the general areas of your work and the areas of your teammates.
•Cleaning exhibition galleries utilizing caution and best practices around sensitive or delicate objects
•Availability and adaptability to work with a team and work varying hours including overtime and weekends.
• Production of temporary exhibits utilizing proper tools, acceptable methods, and appropriate materials.
• Experience and/or ability to work towards preserving the integrity of a newly restored historic landmark building (i.e. painting around carved wood moldings and parquet floors) in performing the work of an exhibit worker.
• Knowledge and experience fashioning brackets to mount objects such as jewelry, small metalwork, books, and ceramics neatly and unobtrusively to panels, in cases or on walls, using such materials as brass rod, Plexiglas, tubing, matte board. Determined configurations of a bracket in accordance with all applicable conservation guidelines.
• Ability to utilize basic arithmetic skills.
• Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and construction drawings and work from them.
• Experience and knowledge and experience in the proper care, transport and handling of delicate objects
• Experience maintaining safe and clean environment when working in production and preparation areas.
• Ability to follow supervisors instructions
• Ability to complete work independently
• Ability to work as part of a team on larger projects, which require team efforts.
• Ability to train others as needed.
Background investigation will be required if hired which will include fingerprinting and an FBI check.
Applicants must be US citizens OR be eligible to work in the United States (permanent resident card or visa).
Email resume and cover letter to HRonCall@si.edu. Please address qualification requirements above within your resumes.
Cooper Hewitt Intermittent staff enjoy:
Historic and landmark offices and garden
92Y Fitness Center
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino Museum Cafe (employee discount)
Museum Shop (employee discount)
Admission to NYC museums and galleries (free)
General Employee Discounts