Cooper Hewitt is seeking highly skilled exhibit workers (on call-intermittent work) with knowledge+skills in production of exhibitions or equivalent work. The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of trades and craft skills associated with the preparation, handling and installation of valuable and often fragile art/design objects belonging to the CHSDM and/or on loan from other museums, galleries, other public institutions and private collections. The duties are performed intermittently in accordance with the schedule of temporary changing exhibitions.
• Experience in all areas of wall and surface prep, finishing and painting. Experience with faux finishing and various types of interior and exterior painting and coatings.
• Layout and assemble metal track and stud for partition walls. Hang gyp board.
•Fabricating, Altering, repairing and finishing display cases, platforms, pedestals, walls and other support systems, using simple and complex, finishing materials such as joint compound, plaster, various adhesives paint, and stains. Skills using basic hand and power tools.
• Production of temporary exhibits utilizing proper tools, acceptable methods, and appropriate materials.
• Experience working cleanly and cleaning the general areas of your work and the areas of your teammates.
•Cleaning exhibition galleries utilizing caution and best practices around sensitive or delicate objects
•Availability and adaptability to work with a team and work varying hours including overtime and weekends.
• Experience and/or ability to work towards preserving the integrity of a newly restored historic landmark building (i.e. painting around carved wood moldings and parquet floors) in performing the work of an exhibit worker.
• Knowledge and experience fashioning brackets to mount objects such as jewelry, small metalwork, books, and ceramics neatly and unobtrusively to panels, in cases or on walls, using such materials as brass rod, Plexiglas, tubing, matte board. Determined configurations of a bracket in accordance with all applicable conservation guidelines.
• Experience and knowledge of lighting systems.
• Ability to utilize basic arithmetic skills.
• Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and construction drawings and work from them.
• Skill in working with Plexiglas, cleaning and removing scratches.
• Experience and knowledge and experience in the proper care, transport and handling of delicate objects
• Experience maintaining safe and clean environment when working in production and preparation areas.
• Ability to follow supervisors instructions
• Ability to complete work independently
• Ability to work as part of a team on larger projects, which require team efforts.
• Ability to train others as needed.
• General expertise with all hand and power tools.
• Adhere to OSHA standards for safety involving equipment and construction.
Background investigation will be required if hired which will include fingerprinting and an FBI check.
Applicants must be US citizens OR be eligible to work in the United States (permanent resident card or visa).
Salary: $27.00 per hour
Application Procedure: Detailed Resume required (annotating all places of employment). Email resume and cover letter to HRexhibitions@si.edu
Open until filled.
Cooper Hewitt Intermittent staff enjoy:
92Y Fitness Center
Attendance of Cooper Hewitt exhibitions, programs and events
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries (New York)
National Design Library