Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum is seeking an experienced, dynamic and motivated Institutional Giving Communications Manager (IGCM) with 5-7 years of back-of-house fundraising experience to join the energetic and enthusiastic Institutional Giving team. The IGCM will lead the creation, management and ongoing refinement of high-stakes fundraising communication tools for the department. From creating solicitation letters and pitch decks to thorough development reports, the IGCM will play a pivotal role in engaging, informing and inspiring prospects and existing donors. Reporting to the Director, Corporate and Institutional Giving, and working closely across many departments, the IGCM is an ideal opportunity for a professional who thrives at creating compelling stories that enable frontline fundraisers to secure support, and assist them with administration of gifts and grants as needed. Must be highly proactive, creative, detail oriented, capable of working autonomously and as a team. S/he will generate materials and processes to help the department reach goal. This individual will be expected to set and meet deadlines.
MAJOR DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Create best-in-class development communications tools and tactics to tell compelling stories.
• Conceptualize and produce a robust suite of development materials for use by the frontline fundraising team to solicit a diverse range of donors (corporate and foundations). Possess creativity and an ability to design visually dynamic stories, be a skillful writer.
• Possess a keen understanding of the process and various needs for approaching prospective funders.
• Be a proactive, enthusiastic team member. Collect up to date and relevant materials from other departments to share across Development.
• Design and implement a comprehensive donor communications plan to support the development team’s larger stewardship program.
• Assist with prospect brainstorming and research as assigned.
• Work closely with colleagues to send acknowledgement letters and conduct follow up.
• Ability to familiarize yourself with constituent names to manage multiple list reviews quickly.
• Monitoring accurate processing and reporting of gifts/grants, alongside each manager. Ensure new gifts/payments/pledges are received or recorded.
• Have a preference for behind the scenes fundraising but an ability to participate in frontline efforts as needed.
• B.A. or higher.
• 5-7 years of fundraising experience or experience in support role on a development team.
• Proven track record of corporate fundraising with successful asks for 6 figure gifts.
• Ability to identify corporate prospects and provide strategies to secure funding.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a development team.
• Ability to communicate verbally, share ideas in professional manner.
• Ability to communicate in writing and produce documents and high-level, error-free, confidential reports.
• Ability to organize and track a wide variety of correspondence and documents.
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite programs, prospect research tools, fundraising databases
• Ability to meet or exceed deadlines by demonstrating initiative and ownership of projects
• Interest and background in design, art, and museums preferred
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS:
Full Time Position (Eligible to be extended each year)
TIAA-CREF (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Life Insurance (including Optional Life Insurance)
Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,060 paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave
Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices/library and garden
Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
92Y Fitness Center
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino Museum Café (employee discount) http://www.cooperhewitt.org/visit/cafe/
Museum Shop (employee discount) http://shop.cooperhewitt.org/
Free Admission to most NYC museums: http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html
Other Employee Discounts
Please submit detailed cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to HRcorporate@si.edu
Application deadline is: Open Until Filled