An opportunity to serve as the Exhibits Coordinator within the Operations Department, Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. The purpose of the position is to assist with all details of exhibition planning and preparation. The Exhibits Coordinator reports directly to the Head of Exhibitions and serves as a key member of the Operations and Exhibition department.
Assistant Exhibition Program Management
• Works with the Head of Exhibitions to provide input on the master exhibition calendar for assigned exhibitions with the Curatorial Director and Head of Registrar.
• Communicates in a timely manner with all assigned exhibition partners at the museum, including keeping Head of Exhibitions, Operations and Special Events staff informed of all assigned exhibitions and special installations that might impact their plans/events.
• Contributes to museum-wide planning efforts and other initiatives as requested by the Head of Exhibitions and Director of Operations.
Installation of Exhibits
• Assists Head of Exhibitions, exhibition designers, graphic designers and fabricators to facilitate the design and installation of exhibits.
• May also maintain exhibits once they are installed in the museum.
• Creates, tracks and implements purchasing for exhibition-related projects such as vitrines, lighting, security.
• Provides on-site support to Head of Exhibitions and Production manager during installations.
• Coordinates and manages exhibition design documents and their storage. Maintains project files involving exhibition activity.
• Works as a team member on special inter-departmental projects and may be requested to set up meetings.
• Coordinates RFP, RFQ, SOW’s, purchase orders and requisition documentation with SI finance offices for Operations and Exhibition department contracts.
Knowledge of exhibition development and management in a museum setting or project management methodologies.
Ability to work with exhibition designers, graphic designers and fabricators to facilitate the design and installation of exhibits.
Ability to manage all aspects of the master exhibition calendar for assigned exhibitions.
Skill in preparing museum exhibition project schedules.
Basic knowledge of decorative arts and/or design.
Excellent writing skills in order to draft reports and develop schedules with the Head of Exhibitions.
Ability to use computers (Mac and/or PC) for emailing, word processing, spreadsheets/reports and database management.
Ability to communicate orally in person or via the phone (or email) to ensure staff, contractors and exhibitions designers are well informed on exhibition administrative issues.
Knowledge of procurement processes to prepare all RFP, RFQ, SOW’s, purchase orders and requisition documentation with SI finance offices for Operations and Exhibition department contracts.
Maintains ownership and initiative of all exhibition tasks and administrative assignments to ensure deadline or met or exceeded and in keeping all stakeholders informed as necessary.
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS:
TIAA-CREF (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Free Life Insurance
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,060 commuter costs paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days) increasing after 3 years (20 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices and garden
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino Museum Café (employee discount)
Museum Shop (employee discount)
92Y Fitness Center (day pass)
General Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume addressing the qualification requirements to: HRexhibitions@si.edu