Join the Department of Learning and Audience Engagement!
Education Specialist (Emerging Designers) will be responsible for working with the Senior Education Specialist on teen and emerging designer programming and professional development opportunities for educators.
In this dynamic role will support a wide range of programs and projects including a yearlong teen mentorship program, design-based workshops, and professional development for K-12 and informal educators. Will also serve on exhibition teams and organize those exhibition-related public programs.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
• Perform a wide range of administrative and logistical assignments in the planning, development, and execution of various meetings, programs, and events (onsite, offsite, and virtually), including working on content development, community outreach, leading identified programs, act as a Learning team member in an exhibition team, and act as a thought partner to the Senior Education Specialist.
• Ensure all content creation and delivery are accessible and inclusive.
• Coordinate program set-up, registration, catering, audio visual, rentals, and photography/videography.
• Correspond and interact with designers, participants including youth and adults, stakeholders, and high-level guests in a professional manner, building and maintaining excellent relationships.
• Collaborate with internal and external partners to fulfill advancement, communication, curatorial, and other initiatives related to the department.
• Gather and edit content and images for publications, website, audio-visual programs, and educational offerings.
• Maintain budget and coordinate with vendors, prepare purchase orders, and make purchase card payments, ensuring all financial protocol is followed.
• Serve as a dynamic team member, working with colleagues in the Learning department and across the museum at all levels to support all learning and audience initiatives.
• Utilize Windows Office (i.e., such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop and other software) in completing assignments. Familiarity with executing online virtual programs using Zoom and other digital platforms.
• Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree, preferably but not necessarily, in design, arts administration, education, museum studies, or related field. Transcript required if selected for the position.
• Experience organizing education programs and special events of various scales, onsite, offsite, and virtually.
• Ability to take ownership and initiative of administrative projects to ensure they are completed timely and accurately.
• Careful attention to detail and highly organized with demonstrated logistical and administrative skills.
• Ability to write effectively and articulately and proofread work, including promotional materials, and program descriptions.
• General knowledge of or interest in design and/or design literacy.
• Highly proficient in Windows Office such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Working knowledge of software such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop a plus. Interest and experience with learning new digital technology.
• Experience tracking budgets and compiling data using Excel.
• Ability to multitask and keep track of work assignments to meet or exceed deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal, diplomacy, and customer service skills.
• Knowledge of WordPress, Zoom, Miro, WordFly, and/or Tessitura are a plus.
This position also involves and requires:
• Ability to travel domestically.
• Ability to work occasional evenings, holidays and weekends for programs.
• Valid driver’s license in order to drive to offsite locations for events and conferences (preferred).
• Ability to lift at least 25lbs.
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT: One-year full-time appointment that may be extended beyond the one year (based on performance and budget).
• Remote Work Option (Telework)
• Permanent Duty Station is 2 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10128
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to: HReducation@si.edu
Subject Line of email please indicate: Education Specialist (Emerging Designers)