Join Cooper Hewitt’s award winning Education Department! The Education Associate will assist with and support all aspects of the National Design Awards, Cooper Hewitt’s largest and most prominent education program honoring excellence, innovation, and lasting achievement in American design. The Associate will also assist with a wide range of additional high level programs and projects including National Design Week, the National High School Design Competition, and public programs. Reports to the Deputy Director of Education.
• Performs a wide range of administrative and logistical assignments assisting in the planning, development, and execution of various high level meetings, programs, and events in a fast-paced environment, including working on invitations, room set-up, registration, catering, av/lighting, rentals, photography/videography.
• Assists with the selection process for the National Design Awards, including the open call for nominations, cataloguing and organizing physical and digital submission materials for the jury’s review. Also assists with the annual National High School Design Competition and related logistics.
• Gathers and edits content and images for publications, website, audio-visual program, and educational offerings, and proofread high profile letters and promotional materials.
• Corresponds and interacts with designers, stakeholders, and high level guests in a professional manner, building and maintaining excellent relationships.
• Coordinates with vendors, prepares purchase orders, and makes purchase card payments, ensuring all financial protocol is followed.
• Serves as a dynamic team member, working with colleagues in the education department and across the museum at all levels to support all education initiatives.
• Utilizes Windows Office (i.e., such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop and other software) in completing assignments.
• Domestic travel is required. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in design, arts administration, education, or museum studies. Transcript required if selected for the position.
• Experience working on education programs and special events of various scales, onsite and offsite.
• Ability to take ownership and initiative of administrative projects to ensure they are completed timely and accurately.
• Careful attention to detail and highly organized with demonstrated logistical and administrative skills.
• Highly proficient in Windows Office such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Working knowledge of software such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop a plus. Interest and experience with learning new digital technology.
• Ability to track budgets and compile data for reports using Excel.
• Ability to multi task and keep track of work assignments to meet or exceed deadlines.
• Ability to write effectively and articulately and proofread work.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
• Customer service skills.
• General knowledge of contemporary US design and architecture.
• Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp are a plus.
• Ability to travel.
• Valid driver’s license in order to drive to offsite locations for events and conferences (Preferred)
• Flexible work schedule, able to work evenings and weekends for programs.
TIAA (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Life Insurance (including Optional Life Insurance)
Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,240 paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave
Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices/library and garden (New York)
Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
92Y Fitness Center
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino Museum Cafe (employee discount)
Museum Shop (employee discount)
Free Admission to most NYC museums
Other Employee Discounts
Submit cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to: HReducation@si.edu
Subject Line of e mail please indicate: Education Associate (Transformation Team)
Open until filled