Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks experienced, enthusiastic design educators for our DesignPrep Summer Intensive program for teens in NYC.
ABOUT DESIGNPREP SUMMER INTENSIVE
Cooper Hewitt offers week-long, fast-paced, highly interactive explorations of different fields of design. Each week, teens will tackle real-world design challenges, develop innovative solutions, and build life skills in empathy, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Teens will experience the design process through hands-on activities, studio visits, explorations of objects in the museum’s world-renowned collection and projects featuring guest designers, both at the museum and in locations around New York City.
DesignPrep Summer Intensive will be held from 2pm to 5pm on weekdays (Monday – Friday) from July 9th to July 27th (three weeks). DesignPrep Summer Intensive staff hours are 1:00pm to 5:30pm. Staff training will take place in the month of June.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As part of a team of DesignPrep Summer Intensive educators and museum staff, you will implement interactive, age-appropriate (ages 13-18) design- and design thinking-based lesson plans and activities for students that build on each week’s design theme. You will spend each day of DesignPrep Summer Intensive working directly with our students, teaching classroom lessons and supervising them during visits to the museum’s galleries and for any offsite trips in NYC. You will help visiting designers facilitate their workshops and encourage teens to face challenges and solve problems creatively.
- Must be available for all dates of DesignPrep Summer Intensive (listed above).
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with teens between the ages of 13 and 18, especially in a classroom, camp, or after-school program setting
- Experience in design education, including curriculum development and hands-on teaching
- Experience with object-based learning
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Experience working with teens on design- and/or design thinking-related projects
Educators will receive $28 per hour. Trainings are paid at the same rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “DesignPrep Summer Intensive Educator” in subject line. No phone calls please. Please submit the following:
- Letter in which you describe what excites and interests you about this position, and how your past experiences would make you a strong DesignPrep Summer Intensive.
- Two professional references who can speak to your ability to work with and inspire young people
- Sample design- or design thinking-related activity for teens. Related student images are a plus.