Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks two experienced, enthusiastic assistants for our summer DesignPrep Summer Intensive for teens.
ABOUT DESIGNPREP SUMMER INTENSIVE
Cooper Hewitt offers week-long, fast-paced, highly interactive explorations of different fields of design. Each week, teens will tackle real-world design challenges, develop innovative solutions, and build life skills in empathy, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Teens will experience the design process through hands-on activities, studio visits, explorations of objects in the museum’s world-renowned collection and projects featuring guest designers, both at the museum and in locations around New York City.
DesignPrep Summer Intensive will be held from 2pm to 5pm on weekdays (Monday – Friday) from July 9th to July 27th (three weeks). DesignPrep Summer Intensive staff hours are 1:00pm to 5:30pm. Staff training will take place in the month of June.
ABOUT THE POSITION
DesignPrep Summer Intensive Assistants will support DesignPrep Summer Intensive Educators by acting as an additional adult supervisor and chaperone for students. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate communication among staff and students.
- Assist in set-up and break-down of supplies and maintenance of program equipment.
- Assist in executing day-to-day DesignPrep Summer Intensive curriculum.
- Support visiting designers during their workshops and encourage teens to face challenges and solve problems creatively.
- Support educators by acting as a chaperone for teens during visits to museum’s galleries and for off-site field trips to design studios in NYC.
- Track attendance of teens.
- You will spend each day of DesignPrep Summer Intensive working with students and staff. Excellent communication, organizational, and customer service skills as well as an ability to relate to both teens and adults and work in a team setting is required.
- Must be available for all dates of DesignPrep Summer Intensive (listed above).
- Experience working with children between the ages of 13-18, especially in a classroom, camp, or after-school program setting
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with teens on design- and/or design thinking-related projects
Assistant Educators will receive $13 per hour. Trainings are paid at the same rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “DesignPrep Summer Intensive Educator” in subject line. No phone calls please.