Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks an experienced, enthusiastic educator for our spring Design Camp.
ABOUT DESIGN CAMP
In our Design Camp program, Cooper Hewitt offers week-long explorations of design through fun challenges and gallery experiences. Each week, guest designers will provide campers with real-world design challenges and share innovative solutions to get their creative juices going. Campers will experience the design process through sketching, building, and playing, both at the museum and in adjacent Central Park. They will uncover the best of design and dive deep into creative problem-solving with the museum’s world-renowned collection and exhibitions at their fingertips, and with exclusive behind-the-scenes activities.
Design Camp 2018 will be held from 9am to 4pm on weekdays (Monday – Friday) from March 19 – 30th. Camp staff hours are 8:30am-4:30pm. Camp training will be executed in the month of February and March.
ABOUT THE POSITION
In collaboration with museum staff, you will spend each day of camp working directly with our students, teaching classroom lessons and supervising them during outdoor trips and visits to the museum’s galleries. You will help visiting designers facilitate their workshops and encourage our campers to face challenges and solve problems creatively. Other duties include
- Oversee camper drop-off and pick-up
- Set-up and break-down supplies and maintenance of camp equipment.
- Facilitate communication between students and parents
- Must be available for the full dates of 2018 Design Camp (listed above).
- Minimum 2 years experience working with children between the ages of 9 and 10, especially in a day camp or afterschool program
- Experience in art or design education, including curriculum development and hands-on teaching
- Experience with object-based learning
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Desire to work with and inspire children through the medium of design
- Experience with maker spaces activities a plus
Educators will receive $28 per hour. Trainings are paid at the same rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Email email@example.com and indicate “Design Camp Educator” in subject line. No phone calls please. Please submit the following:
- Letter in which you describe what excites and interests you about this position, and how your past experiences would make you a strong Design Camp educator.
- Two professional references who can speak to your ability to work with and inspire young people
- Sample design-related activity for kids. Related student images are a plus.