Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks two experienced, enthusiastic Assistant Educators for our summer Design Camp program.
ABOUT DESIGN CAMP
Design Camp is a traditional day camp program designed for children between the ages of 6-11 and offered during the months of July and August. As part of this tuition-based program, we aim to introduce audiences to the design process, design fields and design-adjacent disciplines, fun, hands-on design challenges, and the Smithsonian collection. Designers from various disciplines share their problem-solving strategies to empower kids to creatively solve real-world design challenges. Campers master a four-step design process—defining problems, generating ideas, prototyping/making, and testing/evaluating—through a series of fun exercises and design challenges. Each project is carefully crafted to introduce children to design vocabulary, techniques, and processes that will help them in school and in life. Campers also will receive special access to the museum’s permanent collection and enjoy exciting collaborations with institutions on the Museum Mile.
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in leading programs by serving as our Assistant Educator for Design Camp.
Design Camp 2022 will be held from 9am to 4pm on weekdays (Monday – Friday) from July 18th to August 5th (three weeks). Camp assistant hours are 8:00am-4:00pm. Applicants must be available mid-late June for a 5-day training on-site at Cooper Hewitt.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Design Camp Assistants will support Design Camp educators by acting as an additional adult supervisor and chaperone for campers. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate communication among Design Camp staff and between staff, students and parents.
- Assist in set-up and break-down of supplies and maintenance of camp equipment.
- Assist in executing day-to-day camp curriculum.
- Support visiting designers during their workshops and encourage our campers to face challenges and solve problems creatively.
- Support educators by acting as a chaperone for campers on off-site field trips to neighboring museums and Central Park.
- Oversee camper drop-off and pick-up.
You will spend each day of camp working with students, parents and staff. Excellent communication, organizational, and customer service skills as well as an ability to relate to both children and adults and work in a team setting is required.
- Must be available for the full dates of 2022 Design Camp (listed above).
- Experience working with children between the ages of 6-11, especially in a day camp, after-school program or classroom setting
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire to work with and inspire children through the medium of design
- Experience with maker space activities a plus
Smithsonian Institution employees and contractors must be fully immunized against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
Assistant Educators will receive $16 per hour. Trainings are paid at the same rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Design Camp Assistant Educator” in subject line. No phone calls please.