Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks two experienced, enthusiastic assistants for our summer Design Camp.
ABOUT DESIGN CAMP
In our Design Camp program, Cooper Hewitt offers week-long explorations of design through fun challenges and gallery experiences. Each week, guest designers will provide campers with real-world design challenges and share innovative solutions to get their creative juices going. Campers will experience the design process through sketching, building, and playing, both at the museum and in adjacent Central Park. They will uncover the best of design and dive deep into creative problem-solving with the museum’s world-renowned collection and exhibitions at their fingertips, and with exclusive behind-the-scenes activities. Design Camp 2018 will be held from 9am to 4pm on weekdays (Monday – Friday) from July 9th to August 6th (five weeks). Camp assistant hours are 8:00am-4:00pm. Camp training will be executed in the month of June.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Design Camp Assistants will support Design Camp educators by acting as an additional adult supervisor and chaperone for campers. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate communication among Design Camp staff and between staff, students and parents.
- Assist in set-up and break-down of supplies and maintenance of camp equipment.
- Assist in executing day-to-day camp curriculum.
- Support visiting designers during their workshops and encourage our campers to face challenges and solve problems creatively.
- Support educators by acting as a chaperone for campers on off-site field trips to neighboring museums and Central Park.
- Oversee camper drop-off and pick-up.
You will spend each day of camp working with students, parents and staff. Excellent communication, organizational, and customer service skills as well as an ability to relate to both children and adults and work in a team setting is required.
- Must be available for the full dates of 2018 Design Camp (listed above).
- Experience working with children between the ages of 6-12, especially in a day camp, after-school program or classroom setting
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire to work with and inspire children through the medium of design
- Experience with maker space activities a plus
Assistant Educators will receive $13 per hour. Trainings are paid at the same rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Design Camp Assistant Educator” in subject line. No phone calls please.