As a Collections Assistant for Conservation and Product Design and Decorative Arts, assists with managing and safeguarding museum objects.
Reports directly to the Head of Conservation.
Summary of Duties:
Builds on 2012 plastics survey of collections objects in order to create optimal storage recommendations for the most unstable media in the collection.
Keeps the collection management system up to date and in order, this includes both physical catalog records and The Museum System (TMS).
Collects research and cataloging as well as exhibitions in Italian, German and/or French.
Installs and handles objects (including offsite exhibitions).
Assists with loan paperwork including correspondence with the borrowing institution.
Works closely with curatorial, conservation and registrar.
Qualifications-please review all the qualification requirement below and address within your resume.
a) Selective Factor: Ability to read and write in one of the following languages: French, Italian, or German in order to perform research, writing and other duties associated with collection research and cataloguing, as well as exhibitions. Resumes must address this selective placement factor.
b) Specialized Experience: Experience with collections management practices, object handling, collections storage appropriate archival materials, and condition reporting in order to assist conservators and curatorial staff.
- Knowledge of collections management in order to assistant with product design and decorative arts collection.
- Knowledge of art handling to pack and unpack objects for exhibitions and traveling exhibitions.
- Ability to operate computer applications and automated collection records databases (i.e. TMS).
- Ability to perform task that support the conservation of objects.
HIGHLY COMPETITIVE SALARY: $47,374 to $53,690 per year (based on experience)
NOTE: This is a federally funded job (term appointment) that is a not to exceed initially for two years. May be extended.
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS:
• Health Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,180 commuter costs paid per year)
• Annual Leave (13 days)
• Sick Leave (13 days)
• Federal Holidays (10 days)
• Family Friendly Leave Family Friendly Workplace
• Telework Policy
• Historic and landmark offices and garden
• 92Y Fitness Center
• Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
• Design Library
• Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Smithsonian Network
• Tarallucci e Vino Museum Café (employee discount)
• Cooper Hewitt Museum Shop (employee discount)
• Admission to NYC museums and galleries (free)
• General Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY (THIS IS FEDERALLY FUNDED POSITION):
Please note this is a federally funded position. In order to be considered for this job, you must set up an account at USAJOBS and apply on line with your detailed resume:
Application Deadline: Monday, February 25, 2019 close of business (no extensions)
• Create a new resume within USAJOBS Resume Builder (as mentioned above). You can not attached a resume. A new resume application must be created.
The qualifications above must be addressed.
• Unofficial college transcript (of highest level of education received). Official required if hired for the position.
• Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable