Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks a creative and energetic individual to lead Cooper Hewitt’s individual major gift efforts and serve as the Associate Director of Development and Membership reporting to the museum director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Expanding the Museum’s donor community
• Creates and implementing innovative strategies for securing major gifts
• Manages a portfolio of prospects
• Prepares proposals and other donor communications
• Organizes donor events
• Oversee Board relations
• Manages a team of four development staff members that contributes to the advancement program and is responsible for major gifts, membership and operations activities for the Development and Membership Department.
• Partners with the Director of Corporate and Institutional Giving in designing and executing successful fundraising strategies to achieve ambitious annual fundraising goals for the Museum
• Serves as a vital part of the Cooper Hewitt’s senior management team.
• Five years of demonstrated experience in major gifts fundraising at a senior level at a national organization. Experience in complex higher education or a large cultural organization is preferred.
• Proven drive to succeed at the executive level as a development officer
• Experience closing major gifts at or above $10,000
• Experience operating highly effectively in an environment with frequent/changing deadlines
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• Superb vetting and proof reading skills.
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite programs, prospect research tools, fundraising databases.
• Ability to meet or exceed deadlines by demonstrating initiative and ownership of projects
• Interest and background in design, art, and museums preferred
• Bachelor Degree or higher.
SALARY: Highly Competitive
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS:
TIAA-CREF (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Life Insurance (including Optional Life Insurance)
Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,180 paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave
Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices/library and garden (New York)
Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
92Y Fitness Center
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino Museum Cafe (employee discount)
Museum Shop (employee discount)
Free Admission to most NYC museums
Other Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY?
Please submit cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to: CHdevelopment@si.edu Application deadline: open until filled