Commemorative handkerchief made for the Centennial Exhibition of 1876. In the center is the Memorial Hall Art Gallery surrounded by roundels containing the Agricultural Hall, Horticultural Hall, Machinery Hall, and the Main Exhibition Building. Between the two top roundels is an eagle with a shield flag and a banner clasped in its beak that reads “E Pluribus Unum.” Border is orange while the exhibition buildings are black and white.
Featured Image: Handkerchief, 1876; cotton; H x W: 66.7 × 68.9 cm (26 1/4 × 27 1/8 in.); American Textile History Museum Collection, gift of Helena Wright; 2016-35-71