DIRECTOR OF RETAIL
CREATIVE DIRECTOR IN PLANNING FOR THE REOPENING OF THE NEW DESIGN SHOP:
• Reestablishes the creative vision and merchandise assortment strategy to reinforce the Cooper-Hewitt’s new design leadership and innovative market position as well as run a commercially profitable business.
• Vision to drive collaborations with leading designers and core vendors to create exclusive items only available at the Design Shop.
• Responsible for sales and management of the Design Shop ensuring that gross sales are met as established on a yearly basis. Works closely with the Director of Retail Operations and the CFO to ensure that the financial goals are met and salary and non salary costs are contained as established in the annual budget.
• Ensures that the Shop sells the best in design and is always fully stocked as advertised.
• Reviews creative, educational and accurate text for products to ensure they are described to enhance sales. Communicates with appropriate museum staff to link product to collections of the museum to enhance provenance information.
• Manages the Design Shop contributions to the Museum’s expanding web and social media initiatives such as posting blogs, tweets, etc. related to the Shop, design, exhibitions or other interests.
• Develops a strategic plan to hire a stellar Design Shop team. Ensures the team have superior customer service skills and will represent the museum in a professional manner at all times.
• Oversees the development and enhancement of a point of sale and inventory control software system.
• Serves as an effective communicator, collaborative/team player and leader for senior management, board members and Design Shop staff.
• Responsible for managing all aspects of merchandising of the new e-commerce site for the Shop. Ensures web content is accurate and informative and that the mission of the museum is communicated throughout the site.
• Collaborates with the digital and web technology to manage all photography for the website and ensure it is manipulated and uploaded to the website in a timely manner. Introduces new products to the webshop including managing photo production, re-sizing and up loading. Troubleshoots any problems with the website and coordinates closely with the museum’s web team regarding enhancements and web technology advancements with the web.
• Works as a team to manage the inventory of all products on-line to ensure that they are maintained on the web and are in stock and available to ship. Places orders and re-order for the Shop.
• Is responsible for ensuring that best selling products are always available and in stock for on-line sales. Ensures that specialty products are ordered well in advance for special program, events and openings.
• Overall responsibility for implementing ways to increase web sales in order to reach annual sales goals.
• Works with Communications and other management officials to establish PR and marketing strategy ahead of the season. Coordinates press interviews and photo shoots. Responds to press requests for information, product samples, and images and builds relationships with members of the press, in association with Museum’s Communications and PR Department.
• Produces and maintains retail copy guidelines. Initiates production of digital images as required for PR and advertising use.
• Prepare articles on the Shop for the National Design Journal twice annually.
• Develops promotions and events in collaboration with strategic partners and product vendors.
• Oversees copywriting and content development for any product descriptions, press materials, catalogue/Shop copy, retail website, social media channels, and packaging text.
COLLABORATION AND COMMUNICATION
• Works closely with the Acting Director, and senior management, on special projects relating to design management or curatorial projects and exhibitions.
• Assist with special tours and works special events in the Shop and assist with Membership events. Ensures the Shop is staffed properly for special events as requested.
• Ensures that the Design Shop staff is well trained knowledgeable for all new products.
• Analyze sales and market data and collaborate with staff to maintain and increase sales.
• Participate and work as a team member/leader as required on a wide range of special assignment and projects relating to web development and enhance for the shop.
• Knowledge of design and decorative arts to ensure that the Design Shop reflects the mission of the Museum.
• Senior level experience serving as a product manager responsible for selecting, maintaining and displaying superior visual standards for a high-end retail shop (or equivalent)
• Senior level experience ensuring that both the physical and outline shops are always effectively managed and products are available as advertised in print and on-line (especially the best sellers).
• Senior level experience creating, developing and implementing a highly effective marketing strategy that communicates functions of the retail shop in the areas of public relations, marketing, copywriting and content development.
• Senior level experience in all aspects of running an e-commerce site and to ensure web content is accurate and informative and that the mission of the organization is communicated throughout the site.
• Proven record of ensuring annual gross sales are met or exceeded.
• Experience analyzing sales and market data.
• Strong leadership and management skills in order to collaborate and work effectively as a team and general manager.
• Ability to strategically plan and oversee the hiring of design shop staff in preparation for the Museum’s re-opening.
SALARY: Highly Competitive
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and resume detailing how your background and experience meets the qualifications of the position to email@example.com.
FULL TIME AND PART-TIME EMPLOYEES ENJOY EXCEPTIONAL BENEFITS:
Tax Deferred & Employer Contributions 401k plans
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits
Annual and Sick Leave
Family Friendly Leave
Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices and garden
92Y Fitness Center
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
Employee Assistance Program
Social Media Environment