As Director of Membership and Individual Giving, s/he will be responsible for leading Cooper Hewitt’s membership and annual individual giving efforts, setting strategy and executing fundraising plans for sustaining and growing the number of members and annual donors, the size of individual donations, and converting annual donors to major donors. Creates, markets, and produces all membership collateral and events, including unique and exclusive activities for Design Watch and Design Council Members. Plans design study trips including for high level members, donors, and Trustees. Oversees all aspects of database maintenance for members ensuring appropriate coordination of lists for online and print mailings to members, donors, and prospects, and verifies information is updated/current. Supports Major Giving efforts of the Associate Director, Campaign & Major Gifts, the Director, and other senior staff members as required. Attends public programs and cultivation events in order to identify new members and major gift prospects and to develop relationships with current members, donors, and prospects. Serves as the principal liaison with Smithsonian on membership related issues and serves on committees as required. Reports to the Associate Director, Campaign & Major Gifts and
supervises one Membership Associate.
• Experience managing a membership program and leading development efforts, preferably for a cultural organization.
• Strategic vision and strong marketing skills to build on the success of Cooper Hewitt’s reopening in December 2014; with plans for exponential growth of the membership program.
• High degree of organizational skills to manage and administer processes, systems, and timeline for all membership and annual fund appeal solicitation mailings and email communications, including acquisitions, renewals, upgrades, invitations, and general communications.
• Expertise in Tessitura or other databases to ensure accurate information is maintained and ability to gather, interpret, analyze, and report statistics and other data.
• Strong writing skills with expertise in creating successful direct mail packages, annual fund appeals, and onsite and online membership promotions.
• Outstanding communication skills in order to interact directly with members, donors, and prospects to promote organizational messages, events, and programs.
• Experience planning, marketing, and implementing membership events and trips for high level members and trustees.
• Ability to take the initiative and work individually with limited supervision, as well as work collaboratively in a team environment to advance fundraising goals.
• Background and knowledge of design/decorative arts is highly desirable.
Full Time Position (Eligible to be extended each year)
TIAA-CREF (Defined Contributions – 12 percent)
Free Life Insurance
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Long Term Disability
Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
Dental (Delta Dental)
Vision (Vision Services)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Free Transit/Commuter Benefits ($1,560 commuter costs paid per year)
Annual Leave (13 days)
Sick Leave (13 days)
Federal Holidays (10 days)
Family Friendly Leave
Family Friendly Workplace
Historic and landmark offices and garden
92Y Fitness Center
Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
Employee Assistance Program
Tarallucci e Vino café (on site with employee discount)
Please submit a detailed cover letter & resume that addresses the qualification requirements of the position to HRmembership@si.edu